The NUJ London independent broadcasting and new media branch is the branch for media workers in London working for independent and foreign-owned TV companies, independent websites and on social media, mobile platforms, as well as freelances working for all of the above.
The branch has members working for ITN, Al Jazeera, Vice, Buzzfeed, Aol./Huffington Post, Al Araby TV, APTN, Ericsson Broadcast and Media and many, many more similar workplaces as staff and freelances.
The branch was launched in April 2012 following the move of new media members into the defunct London independent broadcasting event. Since then, the branch has moved from strength to strength, and now has a strong diverse committee that’s trying to do things differently.
The branch organises regular social events to help members network, as well as events with speakers of interest to members. We meet every month, normally in the last week of the month, in different places. Keep an eye on the new branch calendar on the homepage, as well as on the branch Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn presence.
Branch committee (Contacts):
- Chair/Learning Rep: Alex MacDonald
- Vice Chair: Vacant
- Welfare: Yelena Kesborn
- Secretary: Eleanor Lisney
- Equality: Ahmed Elsheikh
- Treasurer/Membership and Recruitment Secretary: Donnacha DeLong
- Additional committee member: Rumy Vakarelsk
The branch committee is very well connected to NUJ structures. Alex and Donnacha are both on the National executive council. Eleanor and Donnacha are on the union’s new media industrial council. Eleanor sits on the union’s equality council.
At the branch’s June 2017 meeting, it was agreed that branch members sitting on other NUJ councils or committees should be co-opted to the branch committee. The current co-opted members are:
- Peter Gloster (Broadcasting industrial council)
- Mik Scarlet (Broadcasting industrial council)
- Henry Peirse (Broadcasting industrial council)
- Marc Wadsworth (Black members’ council)
- Deborah Hobson (Black members’ council)
- Holly Powell-Jones (Professional training committee)