The NUJ London independent broadcasting and new media branch is the branch for media workers in London working for independent and foreign-owned TV companies, independent websites and on social media, mobile platforms, as well as freelances working for all of the above.
The branch has members working for ITN, Al Jazeera, Vice, Buzzfeed, Aol./Huffington Post, Al Araby TV, APTN, Ericsson Broadcast and Media and many, many more similar workplaces as staff and freelances.
The branch was launched in April 2012 following the move of new media members into the defunct London independent broadcasting event. Since then, the branch has moved from strength to strength, and now has a strong diverse committee that’s trying to do things differently.
The branch organises regular social events to help members network, as well as events with speakers of interest to members. We meet every month, normally in the last week of the month, in different places. Keep an eye on the new branch calendar on the homepage, as well as on the branch Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn presence.
Branch committee 2018/19 (Contacts):
- Chair: Alex MacDonald
- Vice Chair: Deborah Hobson
- Welfare: Vacant
- Secretary: Eleanor Lisney
- Equality: Ahmed Elsheikh
- Treasurer/Membership and Recruitment Secretary: Donnacha DeLong
- Learning Rep: Husain Alshabib
At the branch’s June 2017 meeting, it was agreed that branch members sitting on other NUJ councils or committees should be co-opted to the branch committee. We await a final list of members on the broadcasting industrial council.
The current co-opted members are:
- Marc Wadsworth (Black members’ council)
- Peter Gloster (Broadcasting industrial council)
- Mik Scarlet (Broadcasting industrial council)
- Nick Powell (Broadcasting industrial council)
- Matt Capon (New media industrial council/Professional training committee)
- Catherine Chapman (New media industrial council)
- Holly Powell-Jones (Professional training committee)